Monday, October 25, 2010

Tree Hugging, Hippie Crap


So today in class, there was a large debate about the use of the Kindle. From most of the professional writing majors, there was a consensus saying "Fuck that, I love books." I can see exactly where these writing majors are coming from. They don't want to lose the authenticity of reading a real book, I get that.
And don't get me wrong, I do love curling up in my bed with a nice copy of one of my favorite novels, flipping through the pages the scent of the books give off is almost intoxicating.

I used to have a serious beef with the Kindle, I thought it was the stupidest thing ever created. But when my mother so nicely requested one for Christmas last year, my siblings and I put our pennies together and bought her one. After using it, my opinions changed drastically.
This thing is freakin' amazing. The fact that I can sit there, download any book of my choice, for way cheaper then heading to Barnes and Noble, or dealing with the inconsistent, evil librarians in my hometown. I think this is a beautiful machine, and it is changing the way we will read books forever.

But in all honesty, the reason I love the Kindle so tremendously is because of the no-paper reading. The use of the kindle prevents more books from being published, less books sitting on the shelfs of bookstores that may never even be picked up, saving those trees!!!

I've always been one to appreciate the beautiful life of trees. I try my best to avoid all Kimberly Clark products, and do my best to buy hemp paper products instead of supporting the companies which cut down these majestic plants. I've always been very into a group in the city of Boston 15 minutes from my hometown, called Grow Boston Greener. This group plants trees all over the city, and tries to spread awareness of how we can be more conscious of how much paper we use.

I think that the Kindle helps with this mass murdering. I think that if one were to put down that 190 dollars on a kindle, and start downloading e-books. It could help books continue to flourish, without the use of paper. First thing I want to do with my next paycheck, is buy myself a kindle, so I won't feel bad for buying novels of over three hundred pages, and it will be in a convenient little computer type device. I can't wait! :)

1 comment:

  1. This is thoughtful and hilarious blogging, Hannah.

    I love your "hate to love" shift. "Mass murdering" - indeed.

    To make excellent, embed a KINDLE video here - there are several on YOUTUBE, and build their Kindle promo mojo into your analysis.

    Otherwise, this is VERY GOOD.

    Dr. W

    Dr. W

    ReplyDelete